As a good corporate citizen, we are conscious of our role as a member of the local community, and we work hard to build prosperous relationships of mutual trust through our interactions with people. Naturally we contribute to society through our business activities, but we are also a committed participant in other community-based activities,
in areas such as education of the next generation, sports, and promotion of culture.
Contributing to Local Communities
Special Sponsor of Umi No Koshien: Nishinomiya Sailing Cup
Every year in August, Umi No Koshien: Nishinomiya Sailing Cup is held at the new Nishinomiya Yacht Harbor in Hyogo Prefecture with the aim of nurturing
yachting culture. FURUNO is a special sponsor of this race, and we present the FURUNO Cup as a special award to the sailor who shows the most promise for the future. In addition, during the event, our company's R&D ship "operates" as a race-viewing ship, letting members of the public enjoy the competition and feel a deeper connection
to yachting and the sea.
Cooperation with the Trial Week Program to Provide Real-Life Workplace Experience
To support the rearing of the children who will carry on the next generation, and bring them closer to social independence, we cooperate with the Trial
Week Program for experience-based learning about workplaces. The program is for junior high school students, and is led by Hyogo Prefecture.
Through manufacturing experiences not available to the students in their regular lives, such as the
assembly of radar and ﬁsh ﬁnder equipment, we oﬀered an opportunity to learn the importance of work and responsible conduct.
Initiatives in FURUNO U.S.A.
Provide Christmas gifts.
In FURUNO U.S.A. donated annually to local organizations that support education, child welfare and organizations that help those in need.
- Clark County Skills Center (educational)
- The Pink Lemonade Project (supporting local survivors of breast cancer)
- Roots to Road (supporting local veterans by teaching them farming)
- Camas Educational Foundation (supporting local education)
- Share House (supporting those less fortunate in our local area)
- Casey Cares Program (providing support to critically ill children)
- Caroline County Habitat for Humanity (providing low income housing)
- Living Waters Assembly (Local Food Bank)
- Employees donate toys at Christmas to the Bears that Care Program
- Donated Money to help a local child with Batten’s Disease
Equal employment opportunities
In October of 2016, FURUNO U.S.A. was honored with an award from Clark County’s Greater Vancouver Chamber of Commerce & the Developmental Disabilities Advisory Board.
The award was for our outstanding commitment to employment for all. FURUNO U.S.A. is not only do hire people with disabilities also an assessment site for other developmentally disabled individuals who want to enter the work force.
Several times throughout the year a job coach from a local agency will arrange to have one of their client’s come to FURUNO U.S.A. to try different tasks to help determine what their abilities are.
Initiatives in FURUNO Singapore
Yellow Ribbon Prison Run
In FURUNO Singapore Pte Ltd to promote a healthier lifestyle for our employees, 36 employees supported the Yellow Ribbon Prison Run 2016 by running a distance of between 5km to 10km on a Sunday morning.
The Yellow Ribbon Project has three goals:
- To create Awareness of giving second chances to ex-offenders,
- To generate Acceptance of ex-offenders and their families into the community,
- To inspire Community Action to support the rehabilitation and reintegration of ex-offenders.